miércoles, 18 de mayo de 2016

Inari's Million Red Torii

When I decided to study architecture, I never thought the huge imaginary around this beautiful career. At the beginning I started learning about my environment, from the architectural point of view, but now, when I am in my third year on this career, is necessary to question what is beyond that environment, beyond my limits -or the limits of the society that around me- so in this point my mind starts to thinking about what is out there, what is the architectural environment of another people, what is the matter or the important things in another countries to have in consideration. In the last time, I have been very interested in the Japanese culture, and of course, in the architecture of that beautiful country, and here I can say something very relevant for me and for this post, I do not have a favorite building to show in this post, because when I introduce myself in this amazing Japanese culture, I realized I really do not like what around me, because I see all that history of those beautiful temples in the Nippon Island and then I can not feel attracted by anything else.
So in this post is very glad for me to talk about a place I heard about for the first time two years ago, in my first year of college, in my class of "Architecture Theory", because my teacher traveled to Japan and came back with lots of histories, and among those she talk about the Fushimi Inari Taisha. This is one of the most popular sanctuaries in Japan and is the place dedicated to the Inari god, who used to be at first the goddess of rice, and then the patron of business. And that title of the god was the reason for each Japanese grateful of the riches given by Inari to donate to the sanctuary a Torii, which is a kind of arch, and today the Torii's quantity is amazing and it forms part of the constitution of the sanctuary. The principal building inside this huge place is the Inari's Temple, but there are many other buildings that sell food or souvenirs. Every year lots of tourists -Japanese and from the world- come to visit the beautiful buildings in the sanctuary, and of course the rest of the place, which includes the footpaths delimited by the Toriis and the alternative footpaths through a bamboo forest, and all those footpaths guides the people to the little sanctuaries present inside the complete Inari's sanctuary.

For me is fascinating this place, and all the details that compose it and is even more interesting to know the histories around this, and what it represent for the Nippon culture or why it is so important for the people of that country. I think that is something important for an architect, to know why is important the old places, the old buildings or parks or sanctuaries,  and only after correctly understand that, we can try to construct the continuation of the history.

thousand of Torii in a footpath

the figure of a fox -Kitsune- the messengers of Inari god, 
present in all the sanctuary

a big Torii, and the Inari's Temple background

the main entrance of the Inari's Temple

souvenirs are sold in many points inside the sanctuary,
these with the shape of a fox -Kitsune-

1 comentario: